Wednesday, April 18, 2018

Stop Avid Composer Background Java Processes

Today I noticed in Activity Monitor that there were multiple “java” processes constantly running under both CPU and Network and wondered what they were.  Double-clicking to get info showed they were launched by “bash” and owned by "root."  That didn’t tell me much so I ran this command in the terminal:

sudo fs_usage -w -f filesys java

That gives you TON of info, but most importantly it revealed that it was Avid/EditorTranscode/rnc-central/lib/ and then a bunch of things after that.  I wasn’t using Avid, and hadn’t in a while, so why was it seemingly running a bunch of transcoding processes in the background!?

No idea.  But I wanted it to stop.  Since the processes were owned by “root” but there are no Avid launchers in System/Library/LaunchAgents or System/Library/LaunchDaemons I figured they were probably owned by "root" only because the system "bash" had been used to launch them.  That led me to look in Library/LaunchAgents or Library/LaunchDaemons (the "Library" folder that's at the root of the Mac drive, not inside "System").

There are some com.advid… plists with “transcode” and “editor” in the name set to “RunAtLoad” so I changed the <true> to <false> in these:

com.avid.interplay.editorbroker.plist
com.avid.interplay.editortranscodestatus.plist

Then, because I'm not using Avid's Cloud Service I didn't see any reason for it to be doing stuff either.  So I changed the “KeepAlive” to <false> for the Avid Cloud service too:

com.avid.transport.client.plist

That seems to have successfully killed all these java processes that were constantly running in the background.

I like Avid Composer, but I don't use it very often and I hate that it assumes you want it - and all its components - ready to go at a moment's notice so it keeps all these bits and pieces active in the background all the time.  It's obvious it's meant to be installed on a dedicated video editing workstation and not your everyday computer.

No comments: